Old September 13th 05, 06:04 PM
Wayne Paul

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Morgans" wrote:

After more than an hour of searching, I found the motor glider specs

he
http://www.sonex-ltd.com/motorglider_definition.html

It could glide like a dog, but it has to carry no more than two, not

exceed
1874 pounds, and the maximum weight to wing span squared can not exceed

..62
lb. / ft squared.

These limits were adopted to prevent people from registering
everything under the sun as a glider. :-) I've seen some
designs with removable wingtips, allegedly for hangaring
ease, but which made it far more like a typical airplane
than a glider if flown with the tips off. I have no idea if
they'd get the design actually registered as a glider.

T o d d P a t t i s t
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

If my memory serves me correctly, the above requirement of wingspan ^2
divided by gross wt not to exceed 0.62 lbs is stated in the "Certification"
limitations. It has been argued that this requirement doesn't apply to
experimental air craft. If it did, "Space Ship One" would not be registered
with the FAA as a glider. On the other side of the coin, the Windrose meets
the requirement; however, you find cases where it has been registered as an
"airplane". Communications with the owners revealed that this was done to
avoid having to spend the time and money to get a glider rating.

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/