Old January 9th 04, 02:27 AM
Margy Natalie

Ben Haas wrote:

Margy Natalie wrote in message ...
Yeah, teachers only work 195 days a year (but they are only paid for 195 days a
year). Work 7 hours???!!?!?! For the past 3 years my New Year's Resolution
was to leave school before 6PM (I get there at 7:30), I usually stuck with it
until almost late January :-). The retirement is usually decent if you stick
with it for 30 or 35 years as opposed to the federal government or military
where you get a good pension at 20.

Margy

Can you share with all of use out in the Internet world your views of
tenure. In the REAL world most of us are judged on performance. As a
contractor, machinist and all the other things I do I get paid for
doing the job right, not because I went through a probationary period
and during that time, laid low, crossed all my T's and dotted my I's
and was awarded a lifetime of " get out of jail free" clause in my
contract. Your answer is awaited.

Tenure isn't always all it's cracked up to be either. I'll admit some teachers
shouldn't be teaching, but they aren't usually the ones the administration wants to do
away with. We have "continuing contracts" rather than tenure and it is hard to get rid
of someone without cause. Of course I do know of a teacher who taught 6th grade for
many years (maybe too many) and when the administration decided they no longer needed
that person they were moved to 1st grade (shape up or ship out). Administrations are
very good at trimming the dead wood if they want to, but it usually takes a full year of
torture.

Margy