Old July 14th 03, 03:41 AM
Richard Kaplan

wrote in message

Our Arrow has a backup electric AI on the right side of the panel. It is
turned on whenever I am in or near IMC. I do not include it in my primary
instrument scan, but check it periodically to make sure it is on and

stable.

I think that is a really worrisome location. I just flew last month with a
very experienced instrument student who had a similar arrangement in his
182RG and developed vertigo and nausea while flying partial panel with his
primary AI covered up.. he literally could not manage the plane and asked me
to take over for a while to let him take off the hood and relax.

If you do have the electric AI in that location, it would be helpful for you
to occasionally fly a fairly long cross-country flight with a safety pilot
while you use a hood and cover up the primary AI... that would be helpful to
ensure you are not prone to vertigo from flying with the backup AI alone.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com