Old September 4th 05, 03:20 PM
John Doe

wrote in message
news:YUwSe.12838$B34.10230@trnddc09...

On 2-Sep-2005, Mark Hansen wrote:

I'm thinking about getting into an airplane partnership (or co-ownership)
and have a few questions.

When people say that you can't really save money with ownership over
renting, does that include partnerships as well? I would think that
with a 4-way partnership, the operating costs would be reduced to
a level such that it would be cheaper than renting.

This may give you some idea.

I am in a 3-way co-ownership of a '79 Arrow IV. Between the three of us,
we
average about 175 hrs/year. About a year ago we calculated what it cost
us
to fly per hour, including both direct and indirect costs. The figure we
cam up with was around $95/hr. At the time, hourly rent for a similar
airplane in our area was well over $100/hr. The only maintenance we do
ourselves is oil changes, cleaning, and a bit of interior refurbishment.
We
do not scrimp on required shop work. We have an enclosed hangar and carry
$1 million "smooth" liability insurance as well as full hull coverage.

With much higher avgas prices, our total hourly cost these days is
probably
closer to $105.

The partnership works extremely well for us.

So what would those costs be per hour if you owned it by yourself?