Old January 19th 04, 05:05 PM
AnyBody43

"Keith Willshaw" wrote
"Merlin Dorfman" wrote in message
Eugene Griessel ) wrote:

: Mmmmm - the steel piston which ran in the tube of the V1 launch ramp
: and was powered by steam was quite a a long object. About 16 foot or
: somewhere thereabouts. It would be interesting to see how this worked
: in a curved steel tube.

Is there a Web resource that explains how the V1 was boosted
into the air? Was the pulse jet engine capable of being started on
the ground or was it started after the missile had attained a
certain air speed?
Thanks.

The pulse jet was started on the ground, the catapult was needed
for the same reason catapults were used on aircraft carriers
and aboard cruisers for launching seaplanes, it enabled the
use of a short ramp.

Keith

I agree pulse jets can run when stationary.

Here is a more recent valveless variant.

I have no idea how they work, but they are more or less a
tube with a U bend and a bulge. I find it really amazing. I
first saw it on Junkyard Wars or whatever it is called in the UK.

http://www.jetzilla.com/Vol01Num02/j...html#Article_1
A U-Bend "Lockwood" pulse jet.

Mo-
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/