Old March 25th 05, 06:46 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 25 Mar 2005 10:09:33 -0800, "John" wrote:

Mr. Rasimus,

It was supposed to be on last Christmas' list. Now I guess I will have
to wait until next Christmas. Sheesh. Congratulations on the
contract.

But please, do explain the term "Palace Cobra"

John

"Palace Cobra" was the program name for the AF personnel policy
regarding assignment of aircrews to Southeast Asia. It was the
misguided concept that no one should go a second time until everyone
had gone the first--which led to the idea of the "universally
assignable pilot". Thinking that you can take an "experienced" pilot
out of B-52s, KC-135s, C-124s or Training Command and with sixty hours
make that individual a competent fighter pilot is stupid.

The fact of the matter is that there were lots of tactical aviators
who went to SEA more than once and a lot of folks who successfully
avoided the exposure.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"