Old April 20th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Painting aluminum glider trailer

"Udo Rumpf" wrote in message
.. .
I agree that the most highly polished Alu
has nothing against a pure white paint when it comes the reflectivity and
absorption rates of sun light. I just do not know where this myth comes
from.
Udo

Clear reflective metal absorbs less heat than any paint, even white.

A club member painted his bare aluminum tube type trailer white and noted
that the decrease in heat buildup was very noticeable. Apparently, YMMV.

Tony V "6N"

I have to agree with Udo.

Anyone who has lived in the desert knows that polished aluminum will get hot
enough to inflict burns if left out in the sun. Painted white surfaces
won't.

The best evidence I know of for this is the telescopes at the National Solar
Observatory at Sunspot, NM. They are painted "Telescope White" to prevent
solar heating from distorting the supporting structure. If polished
aluminum worked better, that's what they would use.

The only rational reason for polishing a trailer instead of painting it
weight. Polishing is lighter than paint and that may save a little fuel.

Painting aluminum is a tiny bit involved but not difficult. Prepping the
surface with an etching wash and then using a good primer is the key -
consult with your paint supplier. Using a roller to paint a trailer is
perfectly reasonable.

Bill Daniels