Old June 1st 19, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Are off-airport landouts common and/or dangerous?

The top most important skill is being able to think for yourself.

I stay OFF the radio until landed.

Last year at a regional, well provincial, contest the downwind drift proved too much for a certain thick headed pilot in his 27 who landed in the same quadrant as the club - much too visible to the flightline peanut gallery.

After landing the radio went nuts and a towplane made a low pass - fortunately after I had stopped, but made it hard to relieve myself in peace.

After I finished my business, I got on the radio to let them know that I would phone in after writing down the GPS on my landing card.