Old July 14th 03, 03:35 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Sydney Hoeltzli" wrote in message

Those Electric and Vacuum AIs come with a get-your-life-back
guarantee they honestly, really truly, won't tumble, never ever,
no matter what, even if I do? How do I test it, in a non-aerobatic
plane not approved for spins?

Sure they can tumble. And I would agree they would tumble before the turn
coordinator. But certainly they won't tumble at anything less than 60
degrees bank; the whole idea of the two AIs is to stop the spatial
disorientation profile way before you approach anything like an aerobatic
maneuver.

Also I am not saying you have to put the turn coordinator somewhere where
you will get vertigo... just not necessarily in the immediate 6-pack area,
perhaps instead closer to where most airplanes have their CDIs. It will
still be readable if you somehow get rolled nearly inverted by wake
turbulence. And in the far more likely situation of a vacuum failure, you
will be very glad your electric AI is right up there in your primary scan
area.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com