Old November 13th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Travis Marlatte

Default Setting altimeters with no radio

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
"Jim Macklin" writes:

GPS, even a $100 hikers model will solve the problem. But I
just say, look at the ground, you can judge 1,000 feet
pretty well and you only need to apply the hemisphere rule
above 3,000 AGL.

GPS is far less accurate than an altimeter, and I don't think the
regulations say "if you have no radio, use GPS."

The regs don't say a lot of things. You asked the question. Besides the OT
debate, you got two basic responses 1) It doesn't matter 'cause you're VFR
anyway and 2) any old GPS could give you an altitude to use a reference in
the case where the local pressure was significantly different from the
departure.

Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK