Old March 21st 18, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

At 14:09 21 March 2018, Retting wrote:
J Fitch was making a good suggestion to try multi-focal contacts

BEFORE
goi=
ng under the knife. I tried multi-focal contacts and opted for

mono-focal.
=
I found the multi to be problematic, distracting. Distance vision

field
red=
uce. Flying Boeings and racing gliders, I wear tri-focals sunglasses
....Pl=
ano/1.0/2.0. 1.0 for the panel and 2.0 for the charts. Plano is no
correcti=
on on top half of lense.
When I have cataract surgery, I will go with mono for the best

possible
dis=
tance vision. Since I always wear sunglasses, let those handle the

=E2=80=
=98close in, reading=E2=80=99 issues.=20
Cheers,

Henry,

I tried the trifocals as my vision deteriorated with age, but I became
exasperated with the small field of view afforded by them for
intermediate and near vision. They effectively made me a "bobble-
head" because I had to turn my head to look through the small part
of the lens where the correction was. It was my AME who suggested
that I go to soft contact lenses for distant vision, while using bifocal
cheaters for the intermediate and near vision. That is what I wound
up doing. The intermediate field of view in a bifocal cheater is
around 70% of the glass area which is vastly increased from where
it is in a trifocal lens. I was always taught to move my eyes as
much as possible without moving my head in order to avoid spatial
disorientation. Using the bifocal cheaters allowed me to look at my
co-pilot's instruments while rolling down the runway without having
to move my head. Looking above the cheaters for distance vision
allows for totally normal distance vision. That is the system which I
still use today, and when I have to get cataract surgery, I will opt for
the best single vision distance correction that can be achieved (to
try and get me back close to the 20/10 vision of my youth) while
dealing with either bifocal or single vision cheaters, depending on
how good the accommodation of the implanted lens is.

FWIW....

RO