Old July 14th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default SAFE Winch Launching

Bob wrote:
Snip...
Maybe the “new”
technology is better, but keeping it in context – it is a potential
alternative to the proven traditional technology, not *THE* definitive
answer. This is what is being lost in this ongoing point and counter-
point dialog.

Indeed...
- - - - - -

There are many of us who believe in the merits of winch launching; and
that U.S. glider pilots would benefit from the widespread adoption of
the technique.

And I'm one of 'em. Soaring as an activity is sufficiently arcane and
the group (worldwide) that practices it sufficiently thinly spread that
internecine warfare fits the "foot shot" definition, in my book.
- - - - - -

It would benefit the soaring community if the polarized principals in
this personal disagreement would spend their time advocating winch
launching as a method, rather than publicly arguing over technical
details that may or may not be relevant.

"Roger that!" (What a concept!!!)
- - - - - -

Snip... If we could re-focus this obsessive, bias,
and argumentative dialog into promoting the use of ground launching it
would be of greater benefit to the soaring community at large.

Anyone agree?

"Ayup..."

Bob Lacovara
(Winch pilot, winch driver, winch advocate)

Ditto your sig-line and tack-on 'engineer/*soaring* advocate.' (Sadly,
sometimes that last does NOT go without saying!) :-)

Bob - all soaring is good - W.