Old September 14th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

In article ,
Cubdriver usenet AT danford.net wrote:

The first plane with flaps that I flew was a PA-18 Super Cub. When I
reached for the flap lever (it has a name, but I forget), what I got
was a rocket from my instructor in the back seat. "Don't touch
anything till you stop rolling!" Of course the PA-18 is a taildragger
and more sensitive to a pilot's inattention.

I make the same point of my students transitioning to retracts. I make
them pull off the runway and come to a full stop before cleaning up the
airplane. You really don't want to get confused and pull up the gear
instead of the flaps will you're still rolling out on the runway. Makes
for really impressive short-field performance, but requires a lot of power
to taxi to the ramp.

Think it can't happen? It does. I once had a student who owned a C-206
for umpty years and was learning the Bonanza. Flap and gear levers in
opposite positions on the two models. Damn, am I glad the squat switches
worked.