Old October 25th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Whats in YOUR toolbox?

For cleaning the belly of the tow plane, try the original Go-Jo hand cleaner
(not the version with pumice!!). It works amazingly well at removing grease
and oil as well as the harder to remove 100LL exhaust stains. Wipe on my
hand or rag, wipe off. (I have tested Go-Jo for compatibility with bare
aluminum by immersing aluminum strips for several weeks - - no problems
detected.)

WD-40 does a good job removing road tar and works acceptably well as a
coolant when drilling steel. I still buy and use it even thought there are
more appropriate things for both tasks. WD-40 sure is not a good long-term
corrosion preventative - - in fact, I suspect that if anything it does the
opposite. It is also not a good lubricant, though it can help unstick things
if you don't have a better penetrating lubricant handy.

For a good spray-on lube, try Super Lube spray by Synco
http://www.super-lube.com/. They also make an excellent synthetic grease
with a broad temperature range that works great for wing pins etc. Super
Lube Gel or Grease.

all the best,

bumper

"Burt Compton - Marfa" wrote in message
oups.com...
The only use I have for WD-40 is as a solvent. It works well to clean
the belly of my towplane. For light lube I use LP products and "Aero
Kroil". "Boeshield" spray for the long term lube. "Flamingo Grease"
for the long term - it is a Florida distributed boat trailer wheel
bearing grease that doesn't harden - and it is flamingo pink.

I have a supply of large ZipLoc type bags for keeping pins and
essential parts together.

In my Blanik toolbox I carry a couple of wooden dowels - actually used
drum sticks - size 5B with the tips cut off. Pro-Mark brand was my
preference in my professional days for the dense white oak - perfect
for encouraging stuck pins if you haven't been greasing them properly.

I also carry the same plastic hammer Fritz Compton used in the 1950's
on his Laister Kauffman LK-10A sailplane wing pins. A family heirloom
- mostly for luck! A vintage tool in your toolbox is good.

Burt Compton
Marfa, west Texas USA

Stewart Kissel wrote:
http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/Lubricants/LPS1.asp

This is what my mechanic uses and recomends...I see
it in a lot of hangars.