Old August 14th 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default GPS Nav question ....

On 8/14/11 12:12 PM, Ron Gleason wrote:
I have been using a GPS Nav and L-Nav combination for a year or so, it
came with the glider I procured.

Yesterday I lost GPS reception from GPS Nav, first time this has
occurred. Wondering what I should try or look for.

- Unit is mounted on the shelf behind the pilot in a ASW-20
- nothing covering it
- Camelback bladder placed next to it
- Unit was re-calibrated last year
- new internal battery installed last year
- hardware version 38
- software version 5.1
- Cambridge Aero explorer plus says voltage of internal battery 3.0
volts
- glider battery was reading 12.8 volts at time of lost reception.
- SeeYou would not download file from the device, it hung up
- Cambridge Aero Explorer Plus was able to down load the file just
fine

The only thing different in the cockpit was that I mounted my SPOT
device on my left parachute strap around chest height.

I do not see any parameters that allow me to reset the logger or
delete logs from it.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Ron Gleason

Ron

When you say you lost reception just top clarify the L-NAV stopped
getting data in flight (and still now?) but the GPS-NAV has logged a CAI
file that is OK, you can download that file and it does not have data
gaps when you look at it in SeeYou or similar? and the file also passes
security tests?

If that is correct then my assumption would be the most likely problem
is just cabling between the L-NAV and GPS-NAV. If you exclude that then
you have a faulty GPS-NAV or L-NAV and swapping devices with somebody
else would be an easy way to test for that.

It is not uncommon with these boxes to have problems with wiring. These
devices are getting pretty old and possible issues including corrosion
broken pins or over-bent pins (esp. on telco jacks=sockets), and loose
pins or just broken wires in the plugs . Have a really good look at all
pins and connectors in the box and on the cable. If the cables are
suspect install new connectors and/or replace the cable.

Darryl