Old November 14th 03, 11:51 PM
Bart D. Hull

I'll second that!!!

I flew a Beech Skipper (yea, I know but I was young.) that used a ON-Off
selector instead of selecting a wing tank. Right side tank always went low
first (1/4 tank) before the left tank would show 3/4's of a tank left.

Mechanic was top notch, but with all his efforts (short of installing a
non-certified part) it only got marginally better. Even flying with the left
wing high did not improve things.

Bart
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

RobertR237 wrote:

In article ,
(Jay) writes:

For a low wing aircraft with dual wing tanks, what is the point of
having a fuel selector valve. It seems to be a source of some fuel
exhaustion caused accidents. Wouldn't it just be easier to feed off
both simultaniously?

In theory, Yes it would be easier to feed off both simultaniously but the
reality is that it wouldn't happen that way. It will always pull from the tank
giving the least resistance and, when that tank ran out of fuel, it would
continue to try and pull from it until you contacted the ground. The only way
to guarantee a fairly equal use from both wings is to switch the lead from the
tanks on a regular basis.

In addition, the balanced use of fuel from each tank will help keep the plane
from having a heavy wing.
Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)