Old February 14th 21, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

Default Tales Of The Bloody Triangle

Mr Greenwell,
I am with you. However, TCSC doesn't really have a queue problem with the tow plane, which in itself is a bit of a problem. We either have no one flying or everyone is out there chomping at the bit. But even then the towplane availability always seems to be a good situation. The only time the self launch will benefit me at this club will be if no one is around to haul my fat bird in the air. My goal is the be there often enough that both situations arise and I'm proficient in both. I didn't buy an airplane to let it sit.. I know that's a typical statement. I'll be darned if it sits.

I guess I'm a wimp to a degree, too, though. I am green to gliders, and I want to launch as early as possible and extract every last foot I can get -- even if it means standing still and not going anywhere. So if I get pulled up to altitude too early and there's nothing the SkySight refresh and motor over to the good stuff. If I get high enough to soar home: awesome. If not: so be it and I'll motor high enough to glide home. I won't be missing opportunities to soar if I can help it. My goal is to fly more than the entire club combined. Big ambition, but with our local soaring weather, and the fantastic stuff that always seems to be 20 miles away from us: I think the self launch is going to enable me to enjoy this more often.

I don't get to pass up a marginal soaring day because "it isn't worth it" - If I can go flying, I want to be able to go where the soarable weather is, and then glide home if possible. Otherwise: back to FL390 and 500kts.... booooorrrring! "oh great.... another passenger not wearing a mask...." lol

If anyone comes to the TCSC event in a 2 seater, or wants to go with me in the DG505 then I'm all about it. I got a 2 seater to share the experience. And maybe sometimes that can be in reverse.

Speaking of which: Bob I don't care - I want you to go up with me buddy. Humor me and come for a ride in my adultized and fat DG! Haha!

JL