Old July 16th 03, 09:01 PM
Craig Prouse

Marty Ross wrote:

Columbia sounds like a no-miss opportunity, I'll definitely try to include
it.

About that turf runway -- I'm surprised to hear people use it. What
condition is the turf in, and would one just use traditional "soft field"
takeoff and landing? I would not want to use it since I've never actually
done a "soft field" operation, and I'll be in a rented plane (probably
invalidates the insurance), so I'll just pay close attention to the winds
for 17/35.

This time of year, the Columbia runway 29 in no way approximates "soft." It
might be a little bit rougher than pavement but it is baked hard as a rock.
The "turf" is actually more of a closely-cropped straw.

If you land on runway 29, you can just taxi off at the campground. It's the
expeditious way to arrive and a fun way to announce your arrival to the
other campers.