Old August 2nd 03, 03:57 PM
Tony Cox

"Michael 182" wrote in message
news:rRwWa.42484$o%2.21901@sccrnsc02...
I have a PPL, no commercial. I travel for my consulting busines, which I
own. Can I bill my client some reasonable rate for travel expenses when I
use my plane? I am not using the plane to generate income, it is

tangential
to my business, which happens to be technology litigation consulting.

I believe the answer is yes, since travel is incidental. Just
like a car.

But to avoid any possibility of some over-zealous FAA wallah
making your life a misery over the 'compensation' issue, try
this. Bump up your hourly rate to cover incidental travel expenses,
don't bother to bill your client at all for travel, and then take the
standard IRS airplane mileage as a business deduction. Can't
find the link right now, but I believe it is presently $0.96/mile.

It doesn't hurt to fill the plane with computers/books & take a
few pictures to prove later (if necessary) that private airplane
transport made sound economic sense for this particular client.

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.