Old March 12th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message ...

Ercoupe 415, 85 hp, cruise ~110 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...upe-415-g.html)
Luscombe 8F, 90 hp, cruise ~95 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...scombe-8a.html)
Rearwin Sportster '8500', 85 hp, cruise ~103 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...0Sportster.htm)
Rearwin Speedster '6000C', 95 hp, cruise ~120 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...0Speedster.htm)
Taylorcraft BC-12D, 65 hp, 90-100 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...aylorcraft.htm)

That was fun. T cart is T-craft?

I've flown all of these airplanes except the Speedster, though I did talk
to one of the Rearwin Family about buying the first production airplane at
one time. I think it might still be for sale, but the price is big and it
needs complete restoration. It's Cirrus powered one. Th eMenasco powered
airplane cruised at 140 plus IIRC.

Those figures are rubbish for the Luscombe and the Ercoupe in particular.
All the foloowing figures are in MPH.
The Ercoupe will do about 95 to 100 on an 85 and the Luscombe will cruise
an honest 100 on a 65 and over 110 with an 85. The T-cart will do 95mph
with an A -65 ( My first airplane was a T-cart) The Sporster came with a
large variety of HPs depending and even the 60 HP one wil cruise at over 90
on a good day. a 90 HP Sporster is a fine airplane, BTW.
BTW, the luscombe still holds the closed course record for a production
airplane in it's class 69 years after it set the record. 129 mph, IIRC.
That was an A-65 posered one BTW.

Then there are airplanes like the Jodel 1040. with an O-200 it will lift
three 200 lb guys out of an 1100 foot strip with six hours endurance and
cruise at 120 mph. A Jodel D-12 will do over 100 with an A-65 and get out
of a 600 foot long strip with two guys on board.
The Ercoupe was a good performer, but it wasn't the best at anything.

Bertie

We've got an old guy (as if I'm not) here who has 3 1/2 coupes, and he does like them. I was quoting him on the
performance numbers, so I can't say from personal experience. He also has a twister (raced it at Cleveland and Reno!) in
his hanger alongside the meyers 200. He likes flying circles around the cessners tho'...

So many airplanes, so little time...what is a T-cart? Your numbers seem to match up on that line...