Old March 16th 04, 02:37 PM
James M. Knox

"Jim Knoyle" wrote in
:

Interesting...
I don't fly but on a run past the PA airfield a couple days ago
I couldn't help but notice a sign or two requesting that fliers
hold the noise down out of respect for neighbors. There is
at least some attempt to solve the problem.

I suspect you are talking about a "Noise Abatement" sign. More and more
airports are adopting them, some as a requirement, others as a "suggested
procedures." In some cases the pilot (at least when departing from some
runways) can significantly reduce the footprint over noise-sensitive areas
by a slight turn after takeoff, which is probably good for both the pilot
and the neighbors.

Unfortunately, many airports (including where I am based) have seen major
housing developments almost completely surround the airport. In those
cases the ONLY option the pilot has left is to depart with a lower climb
per minute rate (either by reducing power, reducing propeller speed, or
climbing at a higher angle). There is a small, but significant reduction
in safety when the pilot does this... it's like asking you to only use low
gear when pulling onto the freeway, meaning that the other traffic is
moving a lot faster than you are. Not the safest way to handle things.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721