Old March 17th 04, 08:52 PM
rip

As an AOPA Airport Support Network volunteer, noise is a HUGE issue.
The problem with aircraft noise is, I think, twofold. One, it comes from
an unusual direction (overhead)which is probably hard-wired in the human
nervous system as a "panic, panic, danger in the trees" response. Two,
and perhaps more important, aircraft noise is intermittent. Folks can
get used to ungodly noise levels IF they are consistent. It's the
anticipation of the NEXT "damn little airplane" that makes the noise so
aggravating. In other words, if there were loudspeakers around every
housing development broadcasting aircraft noises 24x7, folks would get
used to the background noise, and wouldn't even notice when one more
joined the pattern.

Rip

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article , Art67
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

San Carlos Airport is just about 5 miles north, along US 101 -- it could
also be the cause of some noise.

I thought about that too. I will watch the planes this weekend, to see
where they are coming from.

You do realize, of course, that the planes are doing nothing illegal,
and that active private aviation is a sign of a healthy society and is
also a part of modern life -- especially in urban areas.