Old May 14th 04, 01:59 AM
Bill Daniels

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message

Second, I make absolutely sure my signature never appears in their

logbook
meaning I will never pass them on a flight review.

Shouldn't we be telling these guys exactly what we think? I know of 2

pilots
that were killed in sailplanes where their instructor later said, "I knew

it
was going to happen". Aren't we doing everyone a disservice by sighing

them off
when we really don't think they are safe? I'm not talking about you Bill,

But
someone is sighing these marginal people off every 2 years. If an

instructor
were to tell them the truth, as he sees it, they might just get the

message.
JJ Sinclair

[their instructor later said, "I knew it was going to happen."]

That statement is a prima facie basis for a professional negligence lawsuit
and perhaps criminal prosecution for negligent homicide. It's also the
basis for the FAA to suspend an instructor certificate. I wish these
instructors would think about THAT.

I've told a few pilots just what I think and all it's got me is
unpopularity. They just find an easier instructor or, if they own their own
glider, they don't bother getting a BFR. I know of a few that no instructor
will admit signing off.

Most of the time these days when I do a BFR it's a pilot that I personally
know and whose skills I respect.

Bill Daniels