Old July 31st 03, 09:59 PM
Andrew Gideon

Guy Elden Jr. wrote:

Damn. Are you me?

Uh, just a sec... me goes to mirror me looks in mirror ... nope, I'm
still me! :-)

But you've never seen me. So that you're you doesn't discount this
possibility. If you want to be sure, you could join us at a MAPA
(http://www.midatlanticpilots.com/) meeting. If you don't know, Little
Falls is just a few minutes driving from Caldwell.

As I completed one full trip around the pattern, the examiner handed me

an
approach chart for Somerset airport in NJ, and told me I'd been cleared
for the approach, radar services terminated. So I flew the whole

approach,
PT and all, and got it down to minimums as appropriate.

I hope there wasn't anyone in the pattern. As I recall that airport, an
approach would run you right through that.

The examiner was on the radio calling out our position for me. Before we
started with the test, he said he'd let me take care of all the radio
calls until he was satisfied I could handle them on my own. Then he would
take over and I'd concentrate on the rest of the approaches and maneuvers.
For that particular approach, we had already cancelled IFR, so the
examiner was acting as ATC, and I directed all of my "calls" to him
directly.

I see. I'm a little surprised that he didn't want you to handle the radio.
Pretending to be ATC, I understand. But part of your job is to handle the
radio, after all.

The first approach on my ride was a VOR into 4N1. I had to handle the
entire thing, including the radio work once we'd "broken out". I'm not
sure at this point, but I *think* I had to do this to a T&G. Or maybe I
did a missed there, and landed at MGJ (where we did an NDB). Sheesh...I
cannot even remember which approach I did partial panel. At the time, I
thought that the ride would be burned into memory. Hmm. I'm sure it's
still in a USENET archive, fortunately.

That's another good reason to make these postings, people. Human memory is
a fleeting thing, but Deja News is forever. Oh, wait, I forgot...

I'm still quite curious: who was the DE? Was it that fellow (Green?) from
Century? I found an earlier USENET posting which appears to indicate that
you fly there, or at least flew there.

- Andrew