Old January 14th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Default UAV's and TFR's along the Mexico boarder

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:20:24 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote in ::

"Larry Dighera" wrote

In fact, to my knowledge, the UAV manufacturers have
not yet demonstrated a synthetic vision system adequate to permit UAVs
to comply with FAA see-and-avoid regulations.

You know, I wonder why they have not developed some means, yet.

It's probably quite difficult.

Don't forget, these UAVs operate antonymous (without operator input)
on some missions and whenever the command radio link is inoperative.
At those times there is no possibility of human intervention in the
event of a potential MAC.

There are certainly radar systems that could be tuned to detect planes in the area.

But, could they be shown to be infallible?

Perhaps they could just swing their existing ground surveillance systems up
and around the surrounding airspace once in a while, to make sure the
airspace is clear?

What of the NORDO wooden glider with the right of way over powered
aircraft?