Old November 6th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Spot Landings

On Nov 5, 7:53*pm, "Mike" nospam @ aol.com wrote:
It's easier to spot land in a glider, although an aircraft with johnson bar
flaps comes in at a close second.

"BT" wrote in message

All the time... Instruct in gliders.. for me the touch down point is ON
the number.. for my students I have them use the first centerline stripe.
When towing, PA-25.. Down and stopped in the first 700ft of runway. We
have about 600-700ft of gravel under run to the threshold with no
obstructions within 1000ft of the threshold.

When I took my Commercial Multi check ride, the DPE challenged me to
complete the Single Engine approach and touch within the "Captains Bars"
to complete both the SE approach and the accuracy landing portion of the
PTS. He did tell me the SE approach was critical and the bonus was saving
another pattern for the accuracy landing. If the accuracy did not work
out. I would have another pattern to complete the accuracy landing.

When it all came together and I touched in the 1st 3rd of the Captains
Bars.. he mumbled under his breath about "damm glider pilots".

BT

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

I can't say this over on the student group of course :-)))))))

........but for pilots who are comfortable flying behind the power
curve and can walk that fine line keeping the airplane out of coffin
corner (the power curve coffin corner NOT the altitude coffin
corner :-) in a powered aircraft, a good pilot can plop down many
light airplanes very close to the parameters available to a glider
using spoilers.
Dudley Henriques