Old August 25th 15, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 9:46:13 PM UTC-4, GB wrote:
You want to promote soaring by making it harder to get a pilot's certificate? How many pilots are you going to lose because weather and club glider availability never line up? It is a gliding license that takes gliding skills, soaring is simply a sport you first need a gliding license to partake in. Get people in gliders, if they come round again get them a glider license then ask what their goals are and give them a push if needed.

Very well said. The PP certificate is a license to continue to learn and to allow the pilot to take a friend.
My experience is that the areas of weakness in the existing training and licensing process do not include the lack of cross country experience. A pilot can be a long term, safe, satisfied person without flying cross country. for those that do experience XC and master it, it is even better.
From someone who REALLY enjoys XC and teaches it actively.
UH