Old December 19th 04, 10:12 PM
Bill Daniels

"Tim Ward" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Ken Kochanski (KK) wrote:

Although the technology is still pricy vs lead-acid batteries, the
power/weight/size vs cost equation is getting better. Anybody using
lithium model airplane packs bundeled to produce 12 - 14 v @3 - 6

amps
as a power source for their glider? (I have been looking at the
duralite site ... I'm sure there are others.)
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/batteries.html

The recommended
safe charging procedure for all Li-ion & Li-Poly
batteries is to charge them out of the aircraft in a ?re
proof area or container. Always be present during the
charging cycle. Unplug the batteries from charger when
charging cycle is complete.

I think this applies only to the first generation electric powered model
airplane batteries. There are tens of millions of lithium ion and lithium
polymer cellphone batteries charged on nightstands with few problems. Where
there were problems it has turned out to be counterfeit made in China
aftermarket batteries. Even the second generation model airplane batteries
have pretty well put the fire problem behind them.

Why Li-Po? Well one reason is that their light weight allows them to be
placed just behind the instrument panel where very short power leads lose
less power. Heavy SLA's usually have to go behind the seat and use long
wires to the panel.

Bill Daniels