Old August 17th 04, 01:44 PM
OtisWinslow

There was one here that spent almost 8 hours with a PPL
applicant and then flunked her on some little thing. Any
CFI who would send a student to a DE like that has
to be nuts.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
(Mark) wrote in message

. com...
I have a touchy issue I need guidance on..

Without going into any specifics, how can I advise a student of mine
about problems he/she is facing while working with a Designated Pilot
Examiner towards a rating? Seem this particular DE is using
'questionable' tactics and being unnecessarily difficult with dealing
with this student?

You are the customer, the DE needs to understand that. Most of us
interview DEs before we decide to start using them. The DEs know that
they need to do a good job. No one would ever expect a DE to give a
certificate to someone who doesn't meet the PTS, but we do expect that
the DE is respectful to the applicant and have a disarming
personality. Some DEs actually call around and try to get us to use
them. Some offer perks such as free CFI renewal rides. However, what
really counts is how the DE works with your students and taht the DE
is fair. I've never seen a student get upset after failing a checkride
when the DE has professionaly explained what part of the PTS the
student wasn't correct in.

I actually use different DEs for different students depending on
personality.

-Robert