Old July 15th 03, 10:43 AM
Cub Driver

I am glad someone is doing some research in this area as early operations
have long been ignored. I think the contribution of P-39's in holding the
line early in the war has long been ignored.

I've just read (and will post at the end of the month) the diary of a
sergeant in an RAF (mostly Australian) Buffalo squadron in Malaya in
December 1941. For all the stuff we've been fed over the years about
the dismal performance of the Buffalo--supposedly called the Suicide
Barrel by Australian pilots--there's not one word in there expressing
any reservations about the planes he was servicing, not any admiration
of the Japanese "Zero".

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub