Old June 26th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default 2 recent incidents

On Jun 25, 4:17*pm, Ramy wrote:
Two recent incidents which all sounds too familiar and we can all
learn from them:

1 - Another spoilers out/rudder waggle resulting in premature release
- How many more of those we need till we conclude that the rudder
waggle does NOT work? What happened to radio communication?http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...03X00777&key=1

2 - Another restricted control due to unsecured item. I bet this
caused more accidents then we know of.http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...06X00809&key=1

Ramy

Yep, why we can't also have radio communications as well is beyond me.
Radio by itself has to be safer on average at low altitude. If the
towplane can climb to altitude then do that before waggling coz you
know the guy being pulled behind might get it wrong.This was a two
seater with two people on board in the low-mountains at who knows what
density altitude and so maybe the tow pilot was very worried about any
ability to climb higher if the spoilers came out again. Not clear if
the pilot looked at the wings to verify the spoiler were retracted or
not, or since they were bouncing in and out maybe he did and just
missed it. It could also be the PIC was in the back seat with
restricted visibility and could not do this. But there seems to be
too few places teaching to actually look at the wings when doing
spoiler tests prior to landing or if things are not going well to
verify the spoilers are not out. That was not hammered into me during
training but I now do it. I think the waggle signal is something that
needs to be a part of every glider pilot's BFR. With a prior
discussion or a recent fatal "ah does waggle means release?"
accident, the instructor had the tow pilot throw it at me on my last
BFR. BTW those Pawnees etc. with bold stripes painted on their rudder
really help the waggle stand out. Even if you think the waggle is not
a good idea you need to practice it because you can't control what a
tow pilot is going to do if your spoilers are out. Just like they
can't control absent minded glider pilots. I know things happen fast
in an critical situation but I don't get that people can't remember
"rock off". It looks like something is wrong with the broad standard
of instruction/proficiency.

I know opinions differ but I really like places that require calling
out "starting aerotow with spoilers" etc. to let the tow pilot know
the pilot is not asleep with the spoilers unlocked.

I'm particularly paranoid about unlocked spoilers because in the
ASH-26E your left hand comes off the spoilers you've just locked and
works the throttle for takeoff. Things are busier than in an aero-tow,
more to monitor/do, but if the climb does not feel right the first
thing is to verify the spoilers are closed. And this has bitten some
pretty experienced pilots.

Darryl