Old February 16th 04, 05:52 PM
robert arndt

Uh, the Russian AT dogs were a failure because they usually went for
Russian tanks which used gasoline. Since the dogs were taught to crawl
under Russian tanks in training they smelled the gasoline from the
engines. German tanks used diesel so the Pavlov training the Russians
used turned against them. Only a few German tanks were ever destroyed
this way but 22 Russian tanks were lost to their own dogs!'

The only problem with that is that the vast majority of Soviet tanks,
especially after about August, 1941, were (Wait for it!) Diesel
powered. (BT-8, T-34 & derivatives, T-60 & derivatives, KV-whatever -
they also got the Lion's Share of Diesel Shermans).

No Lend-Lease Shermans nor T-34 tanks are recorded as lost to dog
mines. The earlier petrol powered Russian light tanks and BT-series
(1-5)were the casualties IIRC.

The German tanks didn't use Diesels. They use Heavy Oil spark
ignition (Otto Cycle) engines. In many ways, the worst of both
worlds. The only Diesels thay used in Armored Vehicles, other than
some prototypes, such as teh E100 hull, were the Tatra engines used in
some Armored Cars and the vehicles derived from the Czech Pz 38(t).

My bad, I was trying to remember the history from memory. Anyway, the
Russian dog mines didn't respond to the unfamiliar German AFVs but the
Germans did find out about them. So they ordered their troops to shoot
on sight any dogs found on the battlefield (the claim was rabies to
keep the mine danger suppressed).
Here's a photo of a Russian dog mine:
http://www.ostfront.com/images_german/dogmine1.jpg

Rob

p.s. I'll try to find the German minehunden, especially the Iron Cross
winners!