Old October 29th 19, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Updating Avionics - How I Remember What's What!

Updating files/firmware on my avionics should be easy. Then why is it so hard?

Heck, I am an electrical engineer. I have been around computers since high school (early 70's). I was in Information Technology for MANY years and still do this on a volunteer basis. I should be able to handle this!

I think that the answer is in several parts;

- There are multiple files for each device to upload/download; firmware, waypoint databases, FLARM databases, obstacle databases, SUA databases, IGC files, etc, etc.
- What is the URL to find these much needed files?
- Each device seems to need its own specifically formatted file - just look at the turnpoint database! Some instruments are mentioned there by name but others use a "generic" format of a file - but which one to use?
- There are multiple methods to upload/download. With a cable? Via a memory stick? Then where does the file go on the stick (root or a folder)? Does the install happen when the device is booted or when the device is already on? Does the install happen automatically or do you have to manually do something?
- While the avionics manufacturers create wonderful devices it is a fact of life that their manuals seem woefully inadequate for the task at hand and/or become obsolete from lack of updating.
- Is my recorder's re-calibration due so I don't miss getting credit for my epic flight?
- And critically, I only perform this task about once a year and I FORGET the magic steps of what to do!

HELP!

As my own panel evolved from "steam gauges" to a "glass cockpit" I kept my sanity by creating a spreadsheet of the how-tos, where-froms and the tricks-of-the-trade.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are interested in using my spreadsheet as a template for your own cockpit it can be found here = http://aviation.derosaweb.net/forms/

Comments welcome.

Best of Luck,
John OHM Ω