Old October 29th 19, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Updating Avionics - How I Remember What's What!

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 08:13:27 -0700, John DeRosa OHM Ω
http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

As my own panel evolved from "steam gauges" to a "glass cockpit" I kept
my sanity by creating a spreadsheet of the how-tos, where-froms and the
tricks-of-the-trade.

I've done more or less the same as you, except that I keep URLs,
reminders, etc in a set of locally held web pages rather spreadsheets.

The reasons for writing a set of reference web pages a

- they are easily created with your favourite text editor, regardless of
whether its WordPad, gedit or even (shock-horror) vi or emacs), and it
doesn't matter which spreadsheet program or web browser you use:
plain-text web pages can be displayed with any browser.

- prefer web pages to bookmarks because:
(a) bookmarks are not generally sharable with a different web browser
(b) very few web browsers let bookmarks hold more than a URL and
page or website name

- self-created web pages can hold as much text and or reminders as you
want and are easily organised into paragraphs, bullet lists, numbered
lists and pictures. In addition you get to organise the page by adding
headings and can include links to other local pages and pictures as
well as to websites.

If this sounds like a good way for you to go, I can thoroughly recommend
picking up a a copy of Elizabeth Castro's book

"HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition".

Its very readable and has lots of useful examples as well well-organised
reference material. Its cross-referencing and indexes make finding stuff
very easy too. I have the 5th edition.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org