Old December 22nd 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default What have we learned from all this?

Frank Whiteley wrote on 12/22/2020 11:55 AM:
On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 6:11:20 AM UTC-7, RR wrote:
It has been hard for people to understand the diference between a public health responce, and a personal health responce. If the vaccine provides significant protection for me (and makes me unable to transit the virus) then if I take it, I don't care if anyone else does. I am good to go. However, the public health issue is what is driving the concern. It is the capisity of the health system, that is overloaded, the morbidity of the virus goes up. The rate of spread controls this. So if it goes unchecked, then truly unrelated illness/accidents goes up from lack of health care workers.

In that there are many hospitals that are now at 100% capisity, we are about to see the effects of unchecked spread. So from a personal prospective, anyone is welcome to deal with there own perceived risk any way they want, but from a public health perspective, you should raly around the flag, and do your part for your countrymen.

The problem with some people (and now even some Swedes) is they are unwilling to curb their activity for the greater good, so government has had to step in. The vaccine rollout will be too slow to effectively curb the public spread for many more months. So buckle up bucks, we still have a long ride.

And if you realy think this is still like the flu, just ask an accute care nurse, who might actually know.

https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/6/e0...D19%20severity. FWIW, you may exercise a choice in that MMR II is considered safe, may impact the severity of COVID-19, may be available at your local commercial shot providers without a doctor's referral, and costs around $100 per injection, 2 x 4 weeks. Other articles are saying to recommended, but it may be a viable option for some.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play on on the Internet, but a doctor did share this.

It's an interesting study, but here's an excerpt from an article about the study (the article
is he
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...at-comes-next).

"However, Goldenberg stopped short of recommending that adults start asking for booster MMR shots.

“Administering MMR vaccine to adults to decrease illness severity during a COVID infection
should not be considered until randomized clinical trials demonstrate efficacy,” he told
Healthline.

Gohil concurred.

“It’s important to be thoughtful about it. I don’t think you should be giving someone a booster
just because there’s a potential link,” she said.

Gohil said there haven’t been studies on giving boosters to adults, and we don’t know what side
effects there might be. More research would be required before making such a recommendation.

“It would be replacing one problem for another if we didn’t study that in a systematic way,”
she said.