Old April 21st 04, 07:07 PM
Pilot Pete

I am thinking of upgrading my graphics card too.
My system is as follows.
Windows XP Home
120 gig HDD
1024mb of pc 3200 400mhz ram
AMD Athlon XP2600
Gigabyte 7vaxp mainboard.

Is this enough "main" hardware to do the radeon 9800 or equivalent some
justice.

Phil.
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...

"Jim Chambers" wrote in message
HI pilots, Is it worth getting the expensive new boards like the

Radeon
9800 or gforce FX 5900 ie. is there sufficient detail in FS 2004 to

show
off these boards?.......Comments welcome......Jim. N. London

Flight simulators are extremely system intensive. That means the entire
system as a unit, not just the video card. A good card is definately an
asset, but a total waste if not installed in a fairly fast system with
adaquate ram to back it up.
Anyone contemplating a high end video card as an upgrade for flight
simulators is well advised to take a good look at their entire system
and make a decision based on the system as it will be after the card is
installed. In other words, I's say that a HUGE percentage of people who
spend big bucks on a high end video card should have spent the money
first to upgrade their general system. It's a shame to see these people
time and time again put out hard earned money and then want to know why
their high end video card only gives them 5 FPS increase in performance
along with driver conflicts caused by having to upgrade video drivers
that are way ahead of their system's basic performance level.
There comes a point when upgrading the system as a whole is the FAR
better choice than just upgrading the video card!
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace