Old October 23rd 11, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek C

Default Aviation risk management

On Oct 21, 6:19*pm, Bill D wrote:
A friend sent me this link to an excellent article by Patty Wagstaff.
It's about airplanes but the same principles apply to soaring safety.
It's worth a careful reading.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/prof...ning/risk-mana...

Let me try to put it in soaring terms. *Feel free to add or change
them.

1. Be trained for flying and remain within the limits of your
training. (Over train, under fly.)

2. Maintain a continuous monitoring safe altitudes and airspeed
operating limits.

3. Keep at least two known-safe landing areas within one-half your
gliding range to guarantee a safe landing.

4. Remain within the safest possible operating limits for your type of
glider and equipment.

5. Make sure to leave yourself an out.

That is pretty good for a man who believes that gliders should pull
straight up into a 60 degree climb off the deck without a safety climb
when winch launching!