Old December 14th 03, 05:10 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
(Veeduber) wrote:

A big problem with polyurethane glue is deterioration due to water vapor

Hahahahahahahahahaha ...wheeze.. gasp

Good one, Orval, thank you. Best laugh I've had all week :-)

-R.S.Hoover

PS - Although relatively new in the United States urethane-based adhesives
have
been used in Europe for the last thirty years or so, in the construction of
boats, houses and airplanes (for us common folk) but also for the repair of
antique musical instruments, the wooden tube of an antique telescope at Riga
and by the people who do restorations for antique furniture, firearms,
coaches
(!) and so forth.

If you haven't tried it, perhaps you should. Or simply go read the FPL
reports
on the stuff. It needs quite a bit of pressure to ensure a 100% bond with
wood
but otherwise, it's a pretty good glue.

(Urethane foam degrades due to exposure to ultraviolet rays, not water
vapor.)

Not true! Urethane foam will self-destruct in the dark! I had used some
for anti-chafing some years ago and it turned to dust.

Maybe we're thinking about different glues here. I certainly would like
to check out the FPL info on urethane glues.

How does it compare with T-88, good old Weldwood and Resorcinol?

Resorcinol and Weldwood make good joints, as long as you use enough
pressure, the joints make good contact and the curing temperature is
high enough.