Old May 17th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What would you buy with a 50k budget?

Kirk wrote:
On Sat, 17 May 2008 09:50:14 -0500, Grumman 46U wrote:

Kirk--

Take a look at the Grummans out there. You might be able to get a
good, minimally equipped '76-'78 Cheetah for $50K or thereabouts.
You'd be getting 120KTAS @ 8.5 GPH and four seats. The whole series of
aircraft--Traveler, Cheetah, Tiger--is easy to fly, much more
responsive than a 172 or Warrior (and faster), very economical to
operate as an owner, and the visibility is fantastic.

There is also a very active owners' group that is ready and willing to
help you with ANY problem you might encounter.

Michael

I have been reading up on both the Cheetahs and the Tigers. There are
pros and cons to both but that can be said about every other aircraft.
But those 2 Grummans are definitely on our list although a nice Tiger
might run more than our budget.

I own a Tiger and concur it is much more fun to fly than the Cessnas
and Pipers and the visibility is outstanding. Cruiseing at just
under 140 knots is a plus.

Right now the price of all used airplanes is depressed and really
nice Tigers with newish paint and interiors are going for an asking
price of around $65K. Not so new paint and interiors are a bit less.

Save your lunch money, up your budget a bit, and go for the Tiger.

If the $50K is a hard limit, go for the Cheetah which can be had
right now for that.

The smaller engine of the Cheetah puts the performance at about the
172 level.

I'm in a high and hot area so I really need the bigger engine, you
may not.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.