Old July 8th 03, 02:53 AM
Justin Case

You're nuts!

An Apache will eat your lunch money faster than an old Bo. They're
both old airplanes, but Beech built about 4000 of the old airframes.
Parts are at least available.

You won't get a 16GPH burn on an Apache, nor will you mistreat your Bo
enough to burn 13 GPH on the 225. More like 10 or 11. 3 gallons per
hour for 1700 hours is 5100 gallon. At $2.20 per gallon, what you say
isn't much, is $10,700. Now if you accurately work the spread, it's
probably more like a 6 gallon spread, which would double it to
$21,400. And you can run autogas in the E225. At 5 GPH (let's say
you mixed auto and avgas 50/50) for the life of the engine you save
another 6 grand.

What you haven't mentioned is the insurance premiums. I'd wager to
say the Bo will be 1/3rd of the cost.

You may need to look at your mission statement again.

Good luck

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:01:40 -0500, "Brinks"
wrote:

We've been out shopping for an early model Bonanza, and in the process I
went and looked at an Apache that happened to be at the same airport as the
Bo I was looking at. The guy selling it was thinking that the Apache was
probably as inexpensive to own as the Bonanza. Here's his reasons:

1) Apache has two Lycoming O-320 engines that go 2000 hours without a lot of
maintenance. The Bonanza has an E-225 that goes 1500 hours and usually
needs cylinder work along the way.

2) The Bonanza parts are expensive, Piper parts are less so.

3) The annuals will be comparable (He thought an Apache annual would be
about $1200, which I think is a little low)

4) Fuel burn in the Apache is about 16 gallons / hour, but the Bonanza is
going to burn about 13 gallons / hour, so 3 gallons / hour isn't that much.

5) The props on the Apache are better / less expensive to maintain than
either the Beech 215 electric prop or the hydraulic props on the Bonanzas.

So I've been doing some research on the Bonanzas and have a relatively good
feel for them (joined the ABS, talked to a lot of people, stuff like that)
but I don't know much about Apaches. What say the group? Are Apaches a
viable alternative to an early Bonanza, or will maintenance eat you alive?
Or, will it be comparable to owning a Bonanza? Any information is greatly
appreciated! Thanks!

Chris