Old July 8th 03, 05:34 AM
Frank Stutzman

Newps wrote:

Here's his reasons:

1) Apache has two Lycoming O-320 engines that go 2000 hours without a lot of
maintenance. The Bonanza has an E-225 that goes 1500 hours and usually
needs cylinder work along the way.

Not true. Engines last depending on how you take care of them and how
often you fly them. Assuming the E-225 engine parts are readily
available an overhaul will run about $15K. An O-320 will run about
$10-12K for a $20-24K total.

Well, parts for an E-225 are NOT readily available. Try finding a new
thrust bearing. The rear accessory case will usually need specialized
machining that is getting harder and harder to get done. IIRC the
overhaul of my E-225 in 1996 was $18K. When it dies, I'm going to look
real hard at replacing it with a 470.

2) The Bonanza parts are expensive, Piper parts are less so.

The Piper will break down more.

Could be. I've never owned a Piper. But Bonanza parts ARE expensive.
Ratheon wants $400 for the door hinge on my plane.

3) The annuals will be comparable (He thought an Apache annual would be
about $1200, which I think is a little low)

As in "never in a million years" that low.

Ah, er, there is something goofy about that. I pay about that on my owner
assisted annuals. I can imagine anything that is the same age, but has
twice the engines being cheaper.

4) Fuel burn in the Apache is about 16 gallons / hour, but the Bonanza is
going to burn about 13 gallons / hour, so 3 gallons / hour isn't that much.

I only see 13 gph in my full rich, full throttle climbs. In cruise its
under ten.

5) The props on the Apache are better / less expensive to maintain than
either the Beech 215 electric prop or the hydraulic props on the Bonanzas.

Well, the electric prop is an orphan. However, it has no ADs and provides
the best performance for an E powered plane (assuming its using 88 inch
blades). The Hartzel has a recurrent AD that runs me about $400 every 250
hours.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"