Old July 8th 03, 01:23 PM
Dennis O'Connor

My Apache uses (other than on trips) nothing but the cheapest, garbage mogas
I can find - and loves every drop of it...
My fuel burn can be ~17.5 gph if I am pushing it, or ~10 gph just floating
along at 18 inches and 2100 rpm...
My useful is 1121 pounds...
Two, 200 + pounders, will sit straight up in the front seats and never touch
each other - or the headliner...
I have 5 seats...
My annual costs approximate those for my Super Viking, other than his base
charge is increased $200 for the extra engine / controls / etc... However,
I will note parenthetically that my Apache is kept in good mechanical shape
and I am serious about IRAN... For instance, the 'up' microswitch on the
left main has become erratic (it is 47 years old fer criminy sakes) and is
going to be replaced next week... As long as I have to jack the plane we
are going to also replace the strut seals all around... (nope, no problem
just old seals that some day would be a problem - now they won't!)
When the annual comes due in November I fully expect it will be an
inspection at the base price, and nothing more...
I'm having a ball flying this old beast... Every where I go it draws a crowd
of tire kickers...
My prop AD blues were cured with $13,000 worth of new Hartzells...

The downside to an old Apache is that many have had deferrred maintenance
(or no maintenance), and as Justin correctly notes, can eat your lunch -
which is just as true of an old Bo...
If just buying the plane (either one) is all the new owner can manage
financially, then it is going to be a painful learning curve... If you buy
an older plane because you like it, and because it is less plane than you
might afford, then you will find owning, including the maintenance and
upgrading, to be a real joy...

Denny
"Justin Case" wrote in message
You're nuts!

An Apache will eat your lunch money faster than an old Bo. They're
both old airplanes,