Old July 10th 03, 03:35 PM
Brinks

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate everyone's time and effort in
responding to my questions! I still think a twin would be really cool, but
we may stay with the single instead for now! Thanks again!

Chris

"Brinks" wrote in message
We've been out shopping for an early model Bonanza, and in the process I
went and looked at an Apache that happened to be at the same airport as

the
Bo I was looking at. The guy selling it was thinking that the Apache was
probably as inexpensive to own as the Bonanza. Here's his reasons:

1) Apache has two Lycoming O-320 engines that go 2000 hours without a lot

of
maintenance. The Bonanza has an E-225 that goes 1500 hours and usually
needs cylinder work along the way.

2) The Bonanza parts are expensive, Piper parts are less so.

3) The annuals will be comparable (He thought an Apache annual would be
about $1200, which I think is a little low)

4) Fuel burn in the Apache is about 16 gallons / hour, but the Bonanza is
going to burn about 13 gallons / hour, so 3 gallons / hour isn't that

much.

5) The props on the Apache are better / less expensive to maintain than
either the Beech 215 electric prop or the hydraulic props on the Bonanzas.

So I've been doing some research on the Bonanzas and have a relatively

good
feel for them (joined the ABS, talked to a lot of people, stuff like that)
but I don't know much about Apaches. What say the group? Are Apaches a
viable alternative to an early Bonanza, or will maintenance eat you alive?
Or, will it be comparable to owning a Bonanza? Any information is greatly
appreciated! Thanks!

Chris