Old February 21st 04, 06:56 PM
Ed Majden

Default CF-105 AVRO Arrow etc.

The CF-105 Avro Arrow was often referred to as the most advanced
fighter/interceptor of the day. First fly-by-wire, autonomous intercept
capability, etc. Sadly it was cancelled with all proto-types destroyed.
Many of the design engineers headed south and contributed to the American
space program. Reading the press at the time, you would think that this was
so far advanced that there was no competition! During more or less the same
period the British F-1 Lightning, the Mig-21, the F-104, F-101, F-106, F-8,
and F-4 Phantom were in or entering production. I wonder how these aircraft
would stack up to the Arrow? I guess we will never know for sure as it
never flew with the Iroquois engine. After the Arrow was cancelled the RCAF
re-equipped with the Cf-101 Voodoo for NORAD and the CF-104 for NATO in a
strike-recon configuration. Both served well until retirement.