Old September 11th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

Default "FAA Survey"?

Last week, I received a telephone call purporting to be from FAA,
querying Commercial-rated pilots, seeking "your satisfaction with FAA
services." When I answered that I am not currently exercising the
Commercial privileges, she ended the "survey."

Foolishly, I failed to take notes regarding the name of the caller and
callback information.

I know that FAA lost a laptop in Miami, in July, which contained
identity information on all Florida pilots. I called orlando FDSO; the
inspector I talked to was unaware of any survey being conducted.

My question: Is this part of a scheme to create counterfeit pilot
certificates for nefarious purposes, or what?

I did call the FBI, who advised me to collect the name and contact
information of any future caller.

Am I being paranoid, or what?