Old July 27th 03, 07:53 PM
William Black

"Brett" wrote in message

It also includes people born in the Republic of Ireland before January
1, 1949 who I thought did have the right to live in Britain.

All Irish citizens are EC citizens and so have automatic right of abode
anywhere in the UK.

Before the UK entered the EC citizens of the Republic of Ireland had the
right of residence in the UK and citizens of the UK who were resident in
Northern Ireland had right of residence in the Republic.

However I don't remember all the details of who actually qualified, and I
don't think anyone ever actually refused anyone residence prior to entry
into the EC.

--
William Black