Old March 7th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

Default Liability Insurance for a Winch Operation?

On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:43:03 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On Mar 6, 3:42*pm, GM wrote:
On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:51:55 PM UTC-5, Randy wrote:
We are planning to add a winch operation at our airport (H71)
in the eastern Oklahoma area. If you are operating a winch,
what are you doing for liability insurance? How much are you
paying?

Thanks for your time!

Randy Teel
Tulsa, OK

I would be interested to learn what it is the winch insurance covers. Does anyone have that definition?

I would be interested in "hull coverage", there is an investment to be
protected from theft or fire.
I would be interested in liability to the glider, a winch failure at a
critical time could result in loss of a glider.
I would be interested in liability to a person, caught with the rope,
hit by a glider during launch, operator hurt if a broken line
penetrates the crew area.

I would be interested in "hull coverage", there is an investment to be

protected from theft or fire.
Agree - a winch is an investment and asset for a club.

I would be interested in liability to the glider, a winch failure at a

critical time could result in loss of a glider.
So - is there an insurance covering the glider when the tow-plane's engine fails at 200ft over the airport fence? And when this happens, do you follow the tow-plane to the crash site? No, you release and switch to plan 'B'. So why would it be any different with a winch launch? If the winch fails, you land - depending on when it happens - straight ahead, downwind or after executing an abreviated pattern.

I would be interested in liability to a person, caught with the rope,

hit by a glider during launch, operator hurt if a broken line penetrates the crew area.
What - you plan on launching right across Grand Central Station? No person is permitted in front of the tow-plane or glider during the launch. The same applies for winch launch operations. Using Spectra and the right tackle will make broken lines a thing of the past.

I am still not sure what the winch insurance offered through the SSA actually covers.