Old May 8th 14, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Fatal crash Arizona

On 5/7/2014 6:00 PM, 150flivver wrote:
Someone wrote: "Turns do not cause stall/spin accidents. In fact, the
steeper the turn, the greater the stall margin. That's because elevator
authority is progressively used up making the glider turn as the bank gets
steeper until the angle of attack can't be raised above stall. Try it.
You'll find many gliders will run out of up elevator before they can be
stalled at bank angles over 45 degrees."

Any comments on the above statement. Steep turns offer a greater stall
margin--really?

We're really drifting away from this thread's initial topic, but if some folks
learn a useful thing or two from so doing, then maybe thread drift ain't
always so bad!

I think I can relate to the (presumed on my part) bemusement underlying the
question...it took some cogitation on my part when first exposed to the
concept, too.

My short form answer to the question is: Yes.

Assuming a still atmosphere, consider what constitutes a wing stall, what
control is used to drive the wing to stalling angle of attack, and what that
control has to be doing to get/sustain the glider into a constant speed bank,
and the light bulb may begin to glimmer.

And if you're a glider pilot with access to a glider capable of stalling the
wing in steady, 1G flight, go try it out at a safe height (e.g. steep
thermalling)...and ponder some more. Remember, it's not the speed, it's the
angle (of attack)...glider pilots are just used to using speed in the pattern
as a proxy for AoA.

Bob W.

P.S. I am not a lawyer nor have I ever played one on TV, but do keep in mind
two things: 1) all free instruction is worth exactly what you paid for it; 2)
the reader assumes all risks involved in testing any advice they may presume I
may be offering... :-)