Old May 23rd 05, 11:32 AM

If you want to provide your real email address I'll send you an old IFR Refresher article
about circling.

A Lieberman wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:08:09 GMT, Gene Whitt wrote:

Hi Gene,

First and foremost, thanks for hosting your awesome website! Some of my
comments in my "newbie" sense of the IFR world.

---Circling approaches are an option to be avoided in times of reduced
visibility

This would be tough to avoid at an airport like mine. Maybe rephrase:

IF POSSIBLE Circling approaches are an option to be avoided in times of
reduced visibility. Precision approaches should be the preferred choice if
available.

---You must choose the circle before descending below its MDA

Can you clear this statement up? I am not sure I understand it.

---Circling at night, in low visibility and exposed to disorientation is a
lost poker hand

I would rephrase the last part ....a potentially loosing poker hand.

---By keeping your distance from the airport until turning final you avoid 'killer'
bank angles

You may want to add to this statement, keep in mind winds aloft direction
may push you closer to the airport then you intend.

Allen