Old June 10th 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

Default Flarm Audio and Towplanes

On 10/06/2012 13:04, bumper wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2012 4:13:13 AM UTC-7, GC wrote:

Without that the normal audio is useless in a tug.

GC

I'd say it's far from useless. I fly a Pawnee without audio
connected and simply include the PowerFlarm in my scan. It gives
valuable information, though I agree connecting the audio is better -
- and we plan to do that.

The PF is my Husky has a super bright LED as an alarm annunciator,
which for me is just as good as an audio alarm.

bumper

I said the AUDIO was useless, not Flarm.

Scanning the PF and adding big LEDs is visual, not audible and neither
is 'just as good' as having it fed into your headset. The OP asked if
the built-in Flarm audio was useful in a tug and that's what I replied
to. Our Club's experience is that it's not.

I'd also repeat the bit you deleted. OzFlarms intended for tugs were
modded by their manufacturer (using a soldering iron) to have a lead to
feed the audio into the headset. Surely if it can be done this far from
civilisation, something similar can be arranged in the centre of the
known world without everyone having to whine at the designer.

I'd also say that that was about 5 years ago. Flarmboy (Nigel) got a
licence, got the radio approvals locally and manufactured and sold them
himself. Most Oz gliders have had Flarm for several years. I'd guess
that something similar could have been done by an enterprising person in
the US but...?

GC